TakeRoot Justice (TakeRoot), formerly the Community Development Project of the Urban Justice Center, seeks applicants for the position of Staff Attorney in its Consumer Justice Practice. The staff attorney will represent low-income consumers in consumer rights litigation, conduct community education workshops on various consumer topics, staff legal clinics, provide brief legal advice and referrals, participate in policy reform coalitions to help advance legislative and advocacy campaigns for social and economic justice. The staff attorney will join TakeRoot’s team of experienced attorneys in support of community-based organizations whose members and constituents are experiencing extraordinary debt collection abuse.
- Litigate individual and group claims on behalf of consumers in State and Federal court;
- Staff consumer debt legal clinics at community-based organizations for their members;
- Create curriculum and conduct know-your-rights workshops from existing curricula for community-based organizations and their members;
- Respond creatively to new areas of need for community organization’s members with regard to consumer justice issues, especially those of immigrant consumers and low-income NYC tenants;
- Advocate to judicial, legislative, and regulatory bodies on behalf of or in partnership with community-based organizations and their members regarding debt collection reforms; and
- Supervise volunteers and interns who assist with the work described above.
- Applicants should be members of the New York State Bar
- Applicants should have 1-3 years of experience in civil legal services or analogous experience
- Excellent interpersonal/communication skills and a demonstrated ability to work with diverse populations throughout NYC’s low-income communities
- Experience working with social justice and/or community organizing groups strongly preferred
- Fluency in Spanish is strongly preferred
- Experience with and/or commitment to grassroots efforts working towards social justice
- Enthusiasm for working in a democratically-run organization
Timeline, Benefits & Compensation
The anticipated start date for this position is September 2019.
A competitive salary and excellent benefits package is available, with generous vacation, personal, and sick time, along with industry-leading medical and dental coverage. TakeRoot’s staff are on a fixed salary scale, and the salary for this position will be determined based on years of relevant experience in accordance with the scale.
This is a bargaining unit position represented for collective bargaining purposes by the National Organization of Legal Services Workers, UAW, Local 2230.
TakeRoot Justice is an equal opportunity employer. TakeRoot encourages applications from people with diverse backgrounds, including women, people of color, immigrants, people with disabilities, LGBTQ people, people from low-income backgrounds, and people with personal experience with the criminal justice system. We strongly encourage applications from people with lived experiences in the communities we serve.
Interested applicants should send a resume and cover letter by email to email@example.com, attn: Nasoan Sheftel-Gomes, Supervising Attorney. The subject line of the email must include: “Consumer Justice Staff Attorney.” Applications must be received by September 15, 2019 and will be considered on a rolling basis.