TakeRoot Justice o(“TakeRoot”) is seeking a paralegal/advocacy coordinator to support our consumer justice practice in work to assist grassroots organizing groups in New York City. The consumer justice practice provides legal representation to low-income consumers, conducts community education workshops, staffs legal clinics with our community based partners, and participates in grassroots policy reform initiatives on behalf of and alongside our community partners to help advance community groups’ campaigns for social, racial and economic justice.
- Conducting case management, which includes communicating with clients by phone and written correspondence, fielding phone calls from clients, creating and maintaining client files;
- Translating documents and interpreting in client meetings, clinics, workshops and at court appearances;
- Assisting legal staff in advance of and at legal clinics and workshops by helping clients complete intake forms, sign-in sheets and other case- and funding-related materials,
- Advocating with various entities including debt collectors, credit reporting agencies and government agencies and drafting letters to creditors, credit reporting agencies and government agencies on behalf of clients to inform them of applicable laws and demand their compliance;
- Managing outreach and publicity of legal clinics and workshops in partnership with community based partners;
- Draft advocacy letters and assist clients with student loan related debts;
- Developing partnerships around cases, clinics and workshops with local community groups;
- Performing legal service and administrative support tasks including preparing retainers, filing court papers, serving legal documents, document review, assisting with discovery and legal research;
- Maintaining and developing with staff attorneys, educational materials and trainings for use at legal clinics and workshops.
- Though no specific knowledge of consumer law is required, experience with consumers’ rights or the ability to learn quickly are imperative;
- Spanish language skills required;
- Highly organized and detail oriented;
- Ability to juggle multiple tasks at once;
- Availability to work occasional evenings and weekends for clinics and workshops;
- Strong writing and phone communication skills;
- Ability to work independently and in a team;
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work with diverse populations;
- Interest in, experience with and/or demonstrated commitment to grassroots efforts working towards social, racial and economic justice;
- A commitment of 2+ years is requested due to the steep learning curve of this position.
Timeline, Benefits & Compensation
We are looking to fill this position immediately.
A competitive salary and excellent benefits package is available, with generous vacation, personal, and sick time, along with industry-leading medical and dental coverage. TakeRoot’s staff are on a fixed salary scale, and the salary for this position will be determined based on years of relevant experience in accordance with the scale.
This is a bargaining unit position represented for collective bargaining purposes by the National Organization of Legal Services Workers, UAW, Local 2230.
TakeRoot Justice is an equal opportunity employer. TakeRoot encourages applications from people with diverse backgrounds, including women, people of color, immigrants, people with disabilities, LGBTQ people, people from low-income backgrounds, and people with personal experience with the criminal justice system. We strongly encourage applications from people with lived experiences in the communities we serve.
Interested applicants should send a resume and cover letter by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, attn: Nasoan Sheftel-Gomes, Supervising Attorney. The subject line of the email must include: “Consumer Paralegal.” Applications must be received by September 15, 2019 and will be considered on a rolling basis.