We are a diverse team, committed to our mission of dismantling racial, economic and social oppression. TakeRoot Justice encourages applications from people with diverse backgrounds including women, people of color, immigrants, people with disabilities, LGBTQ people, people from low-income backgrounds, and people with personal experience with the criminal justice system. We strongly encourage applications from people with lived experiences in the communities we serve.
The Housing Rights team of TakeRoot Justice is seeking an attorney to join us!
We are a team of attorneys and advocates working with community organizers and tenant organizations across New York City to help tenants fight harassment, obtain repairs, and stand up to the gentrification and displacement pressure plaguing the City.
The attorney will be responsible for collaborating directly with housing organizers and tenant association members to build power within the NYC housing movement. Our attorneys challenge landlords, lenders, and government enforcement agencies by providing legal representation, support, and training to tenant organizations and their members. Our legal strategies include affirmative litigation on behalf of tenant associations (e.g. rent strikes, 7A proceedings, HP actions, intervention in bankruptcy and foreclosure cases, and overcharge claims), defending tenants against attacks on their right to organize, and eviction defense. Our non-litigation strategies include partnering with community organizers to develop campaign strategies, training organizers and community leaders on tenants’ rights issues, drafting legislation and policy proposals, lobbying, advising organizers and tenants on their rights to organize, participating in tenant meetings, and conducting legal clinics. Because we meet our clients where they are, the job requires regular evening and some weekend meetings.
The ideal candidate will be:
• Committed to economic and racial justice and the housing justice movement in New York City.
• Passionate about working in partnership with community organizers, and about developing creative lawyering strategies to support tenant organizing.
• Eager to work with a diverse client base on individual and group litigation.
• Admitted to the New York State Bar.
• Personally connected to the work.
The ideal candidate will have:
• Professional or personal experience with New York City housing law and the housing justice movement.
• At least two years of litigation experience (candidates with less experience are still encouraged to apply)
• Experience with community organizing or working in support of organizing campaigns.
• Professional or personal experience working with diverse communities and across lines of difference.
• Professional competency in Spanish is strongly preferred. Professional competency in Mandarin, Cantonese, Bangla or French is a plus.
· Applications will be considered on a rolling basis and are due by December 15th
· Ideal start date for the position is early January 2022.
Please email your resume and cover letter in one pdf to firstname.lastname@example.org, attention Keriann Pauls, including “Housing Rights Attorney” in the subject line. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. Salary is determined in accordance with our collective bargaining agreement scale. We provide excellent benefits, and a vacation and leave package. This is a union bargaining unit position represented for collective bargaining purposes by the National Organization of Legal Services Workers, UAW, Local 2320.
TakeRoot Justice is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will be afforded equal employment opportunities without discrimination because of race, religion/creed, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, sexual orientation, military status, predisposing genetic characteristics, victim of domestic violence status, or marital status.
* * *