TakeRoot Justice is hiring an Accounts Payable Accountant.
About the Organization:
TakeRoot Justice became independent in 2019 and provides legal, participatory research and policy support to strengthen the work of grassroots and community-based groups in New York City to dismantle racial, economic and social oppression. TakeRoot employs a unique model of partnership with grassroots and community-based groups. Our partners take the lead in determining the priorities and goals for our work, and advance our understanding of justice. We believe in a theory of change where short-term and individual successes help build the capacity and power of our partners, who in turn can have longer-term impact on policies, laws and systems that affect their communities. Our work has greater impact because it is done in connection with organizing, building power and leadership development. Internally, all staff engage in a democratic process of decision-making to help move resolutions along that affect all staff. These decisions can range from providing input on budgets to reimagining the organizational structure.
Position Title: Accounts Payable Accountant
The Accounts Payable Accountant serves as a critical member of a 2-person team expected to grow to a 3 – 4 person Accounting Department. Reporting to the Director of Finance, assists with all aspects of the organization’s accounting and budgeting functions.
Position Description and Responsibilities:
● Perform daily accounts payable functions
● Ensure expenses are allocated and posted to appropriate expense line items and Practice Areas
● Process, post and keep track of organization’s payments made via ACH, Electronic On-line portals, debit cards, and
checks, perform monthly reconciliation against invoices
● Post journal entries to general ledger to record expenses. Make necessary reclassifications to maintain the accuracy
of general ledger
● Process and prepare monthly bank reconciliations
● Review and maintain aged payable schedules for all vendors
● Add new vendors to Intacct. Populate vendor’s profile with pertinent information such as W9s
● At end of year, process and distribute 1099s to vendors and file with IRS
● Reconcile general ledger schedules in preparation for annual audit and programmatic audits
● Ensure timesheets reflect staff’s time allocation, periodically reconcile against budget allocations
● Payroll processing –Prepare and submit semi-monthly Payroll to PEO; post Payroll entries to Intacct
● Ensure monthly payroll changes are reviewed and or recorded to ensure accuracy and compliance
● Assist Director of Finance in preparing monthly reports and year-end audit schedules
● Perform other accounting duties as assigned by the Director of Finance
● Support the Director of Finance in the formulation, execution and monitoring of the organization’s operating
expense budget process
● Post expense budget numbers to Intacct
● Produce and analyze monthly budget-to-actual variance reports and distribute to Practice Areas
Timeline and Salary:
The anticipated start date for this position is April 2021.
We offer a competitive salary based on experience along with an excellent benefits package, including generous
vacation, personal, sick time, and strong medical and dental coverage. We also offer paid access to professional
development opportunities (related trainings, workshops and/or conferences).
This is a bargaining unit position represented for collective bargaining purposes by the National Organization of Legal
Services Workers, UAW, Local 2230.
EDUCATION OR EQUIVALENT EXPERIENCE
● Bachelors – degree with a focus on Accounting, Finance, Business Administration, or related field, with 1-3 years
of experience in non-profit accounting.
QUALIFICATIONS & SKILLS
● Proficiency in MS Suite
● Proficiency in working “hands on” with Sage Intacct, minimum 1 year of recent experience
● Strong quantitative analytical ability
● Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
● Ability to work independently or collaboratively and with minimal supervision
● Familiarity with government contract compliance a strong plus
● Demonstrated commitment to social justice issues is strongly preferred
Interested applicants should apply immediately by emailing a cover letter addressed to Marcos A. Ortiz and CV/résumé along with salary requirement expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include in your cover letter (1) the title of the position in the subject line of your email and (2) where you found the position posting. If possible, please email all documents as a single PDF. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
TakeRoot is an equal opportunity employer. TakeRoot encourages applications from people with diverse backgrounds, including women, people of color, immigrants, people with disabilities, LGBTQ people, people from low income backgrounds, and people with personal experience with the criminal justice system. We strongly encourage applications from people with lived experiences in the communities we serve.