TakeRoot Justice is hiring a Senior Accountant.
About the Organization:
TakeRoot Justice became independent in 2019 and provides legal, participatory research and policy support to strengthen the work of grassroots and community-based groups in New York City to dismantle racial, economic and social oppression. TakeRoot employs a unique model of partnership with grassroots and community-based groups. Our partners take the lead in determining the priorities and goals for our work, and advance our understanding of justice. We believe in a theory of change where short-term and individual successes help build the capacity and power of our partners, who in turn can have longer-term impact on policies, laws and systems that affect their communities. Our work has greater impact because it is done in connection with organizing, building power and leadership development. Internally, all staff engage in a democratic process of decision-making to help move resolutions along that affect all staff. These decisions can range from providing input on budgets to reimagining the organizational structure.
Position Title: Senior Accountant
The Senior Accountant serves as a critical member of a 2-person Finance team, reporting to the Director of Finance, assists with all aspects of the organization’s accounting, finance activities and grant accounting.
Position Description and Responsibilities:
- Perform daily accounts receivable and accounts payable activities
- Analyze and reconcile balance sheet and income accounts
- Post monthly journal entries to general ledger to record, revenue, cash receipts and expenses
- Allocate revenues and expenses to appropriate Practice Area
- Prepare monthly bank reconciliations
- Prepare monthly and year end closeout activities
- Prepare and analyze financial reports for program managers and funding sources
- Reconcile all general ledger schedules in preparation for annual audit and programmatic audits
- Work closely with Human Resources to track proper staff time allocations across various Practice Areas, projects and grants
- Payroll processing –Prepare and submit semi-monthly Payroll to PEO; post Payroll entries to Intacct
- Ensure monthly payroll changes are reviewed and or recorded to ensure accuracy and compliance
- Assist Director of Finance in preparing monthly reports and year end audit schedules.
- Maintain the accuracy of general ledger
- Perform other accounting duties as assigned by the Director of Finance
- Prepare contract budgets, budget modifications, fiscal reports and related documents for funders.
- In partnership with Practice Areas, maintain a calendar of deadlines for renewing contract-related documents and communicate deadlines and requirements to TakeRoot staff
- In partnership with Practice Areas, produce and analyze regular contract budget-to-actual variance reports and distribute to TakeRoot management
- In partnership with Practice Areas, maintain records and required filings for all government-funded TakeRoot contracts and foundation grants according to grantor rules and regulations
- Maintain current knowledge of local, state and federal policies and procedures and ensure contracts compliance based on these policies and procedures
- Upon execution of a subcontractor agreement, in coordination with TakeRoot Development staff and Practice Areas, review and approve subcontractor budgets, ensuring compliance with funder requirements
- In Partnership with Practice Areas, review subcontractor invoices and submit to funding source for payment
- In partnership with Practice Areas, monitor subcontractor spending, and provide subcontractors with regular budget-to-actual reports
- Review and approve subcontractor budget, budget modifications and request for extensions.
- Support the Director of Finance in the formulation, execution and monitoring of the operating budget process
- Post budget numbers to Intacct
Timeline and Salary:
The anticipated start date for this position is October 2020.
We offer a competitive salary based on experience along with an excellent benefits package, including generous vacation, personal, sick time, and strong medical and dental coverage. We also offer paid access to professional development opportunities (related trainings, workshops and/or conferences).
This is a bargaining unit position represented for collective bargaining purposes by the National Organization of Legal Services Workers, UAW, Local 2230.
EDUCATION OR EQUIVALENT EXPERIENCE
- Bachelors – degree with a focus on Accounting, Finance, Business Administration, or related field, with 3-5 years of experience in non-profit accounting
- Experience with non-profit and contracts management preferred
QUALIFICATIONS & SKILLS
- Proficiency in MS Suite
- Proficiency in working “hands on” with Sage Intacct, minimum 1 year of recent experience
- Strong quantitative analytical ability
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to work independently or collaboratively and with minimal supervision
- Familiarity with government contract compliance a strong plus
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice issues is strongly preferred
Interested applicants should apply immediately by emailing a cover letter addressed to Marcos A. Ortiz and CV/résumé along with salary requirement expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include in your cover letter (1) the title of the position in the subject line of your email and (2) where you found the position posting. If possible, please email all documents as a single PDF. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
TakeRoot is an equal opportunity employer. TakeRoot encourages applications from people with diverse backgrounds, including women, people of color, immigrants, people with disabilities, LGBTQ people, people from low income backgrounds, and people with personal experience with the criminal justice system. We strongly encourage applications from people with lived experiences in the communities we serve.