TakeRoot Justice seeks applicants for the position of Temporary, Part-Time Senior Staff Attorney to cover the parental leave of a Senior Staff Attorney, and provide interim support to TakeRoot’s Immigrants’ Rights team, which includes a Fully Accredited DOJ Representative, five attorneys, and a supervisor.
This is a 24 hour per week contract worker position, starting in early January 2022. The contract will last approximately 4-6 months.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Handling a caseload of defensive and affirmative matters including, but not limited to, SIJS, Asylum, VAWA, U/T visas, family-based petitions, consular processing, Motions to Reopen, and representing individuals in immigration court;
- Working with the Supervising attorney to manage the docket and keeping detailed case management records;
- Conducting new intakes as needed with our partner organizations;
- Attending weekly team meetings, which include participation in peer supervision support.
Ideal Candidates will:
- Have a J.D. degree;
- Be admitted to the bar of any state in the U.S., with a preference for New York;
- Have at least five years of immigration law experience;
- Have fluency in a second language (Bengali, Haitian Creole, French, Nepali, or Spanish strongly preferred)
- Be committed to economic and racial justice and the immigrant justice movement in New York City;
- Have strong case management, writing, analytical, and interpersonal skills;
- Be self-directed and passionate about client-centered advocacy;
- Capacity and desire to work collaboratively.
Compensation: The salary range is between $36 to $46 per hour, depending on experience.
TakeRoot Justice provides legal, participatory research and policy support to strengthen the work of grassroots and community-based groups in New York City to dismantle racial, economic and social oppression. Applicants are encouraged to learn more about TakeRoot’s work by visiting our website: https://takerootjustice.org/
TakeRoot’s Immigrants’ Rights team works to protect individuals from detention and deportation, keep families together, and build power in immigrant communities. In addition to representing individuals on a wide range of immigration cases, we also support the development of immigrant community defense networks, legislative advocacy efforts, immigrant tenant’s rights organizing and the fight against immigration fraud.
The Immigrants’ Rights team works to strengthen the organizing work of TakeRoot’s community-based partners by (1) providing legal clinics and direct immigration representation to members of partner group, (2) providing community education and strategy support in line with organizing goals.
Interested applicants should send one PDF including a cover letter, resume and writing sample by e-mail only (no hard copies please) with the subject line “Temporary Immigrants’ Rights Senior Staff Attorney” to email@example.com, Attn: Nadia Qurashi. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
TakeRoot Justice is an equal opportunity employer. TakeRoot encourages applications from people with diverse backgrounds, including women, people of color, immigrants, people with disabilities, LGBTQ people, people from low-income backgrounds, and people with personal experience with the criminal justice system. We strongly encourage applications from people with lived experiences in the communities we serve.